Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Album Covers: Black Sabbath



Originally called 'Earth', Black Sabbath took it's name from an old Boris Karloff film to portray a heavier image, and also become one of the first bands to do horror themed rock. They wanted to be the anti-hippie band, and set out to intentionally scare people. The subject of many of their songs included the occult (obviously), and the dangers to yourself for messing with it, nuclear armagedeon, anti-herion songs, and pro-Christian. Unfortunately they have been labeled as devil music by the religious right. Their loss for not listening to what is really being said.

In my opinion, the debut album by Black Sabbath is one of the most haunting images put on a record. The feeling I get from seeing it is one I can't describe. (I liken it to watching some classic Hammer films) But that's my own personal take on it. When I hear the opening to the title track with the rain storm and church bell, the image on the cover comes to mind, and I love it.
If you have never listened to them, definitely check out the Ozzy years. (1970-79)

Black Sabbath- Black Sabbath

Black Sabbath- Wicked World

1 comment:

Becca said...

Wow I honestly didn't know the Boris Karloff thing, interesting. This is a great cover tho, I love the colors.