Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Minor coastal flooding is possible

Yesterday we got one of the biggest storms we've had in a while here. (well, all the northeast did really, but...)
I went out at high tide and got some pictures of the water. They were calling for astronomical high tides and some coastal flooding, so I thought I'd check it out. Here's some pics:

(click for closer view)

As you can see the waves were quite impressive. If I had to guess I'd say they were at least 8' seas right offshore. The pictures don't really do it justice, but the water was fierce. The most impressive thing about this, is the bottom of the ocean here is not conducive to waves of this type. It's not like a long sandy beach which allows the water to build as it nears the shore. It's rocks, and craggy ledge.
I continued to drive on, past an area which used to be notorious for the road washing out when I was growing up every time we had a storm of this type. They fixed the road so that doesn't happen anymore, but the waves still come up over it, and throw rocks onto it.

As you can see, there isn't much between the front tire and the briny deep. (well...actually it's not that deep there.)




Watch out for flying rocks!

Even up into the harbor, it was rough. This rarely happens, but when it does the results can be quite impressive.

I'd say the tide was a good 1-2 feet higher than usual.
By the way, as an ironic side note, the town I grew up in was where they filmed one of the worst movies ever... "Storm of the Century", so while I was taking these pictures I kept saying
"Give me what I want, and I'll go away!!" :D

...and of course Finnegan was there to assist me

No comments: